Thursday, January 30, 2014

Chosen At Nightfall Review

Chosen at Nightfall is the fifth and final installment to the Shadow Falls series by C.C. Hunter. Over the pass two and a half years, I have enjoyed reading the series and being in despair while waiting for the release date. To my dismay, however, this final conclusion seemed to be rather disappointing and somewhat of a let down. It's not necessarily bad, but it just did not live up to expectations. I guess I shall give it a 3 out of 5. 

Unfortunately, the plot of the book is not really too interesting, with the exception of a chapter or two in the middle and a couple of chapters towards the end, so I had to really be dedicated and made myself read the majority of this book. In fact, after reading the first page, I just wanted to close my eyes and go to sleep. The climax was a bit anticlimactic, especially since entire climax that has been built up the entire series is only a brief chapter that get's quickly taken care of. It seemed as though the author didn't put too much thought into it and just wanted to get it over with. The resolution was dull, which I suppose is to be expected, but still. Perhaps my distaste for the plot is caused from my evolving tastes and opinions, thus don't cloud your judgement with my opinions. I want to know your thoughts.

Throughout this whole series, there is a big freaking, annoying love-triangle between Kylie, Lucas, and Derek. If you're like me, and not exactly a fan of love-triangles or even the gasp! maddening love-polygon, then this book will at least give you closure to Kylie's infuriating indecisiveness. She has been caught between the hot, passionate, werewolf Lucas and the caring, lovable fairy Derek. If I had it my way, I'd have Kylie just pick both, have a open or mutually consensual two-way relationship. However, if I had to choose, I would pick Derek because he seems to truly care for her holistic well being. He understands and accepts her for who she is; what's more, he doesn't experience turmoil for it! On the other hand, Lucas is the all hot and passionate love who is required to have intense loyalty to his werewolf pack... a pack that excludes Kylie. Therefore, it's annoying as he tries to have both without thinking of Kylie. 

Though in this new installment, he has made his decision: Kylie. Thus Lucas suffers the consequences and he's been shunned from the majority of the werewolf community. Kylie suffers the same turmoil that she is the reason for Lucas' decision; in addition, continually grieves over Lucas' betrayal. She spends the majority of the book grieving and just being sad over Lucas. That is pretty much all she feels: sadness over Lucas, Lucas, and... guess who? Lucas. As a reader, it is immensely annoying having to constantly read about her whining. Make a decision, take action, just freaking DO something! 

The chemistry between Kylie and Lucas seemed fake, or just that there is a big gap that's missing. I could kind of understand why they wanted to be together, main reason perhaps being lust, though I feel as though lust is definitely insufficient to justify devoted love and commitment. It simply did not seem real. 

What I loved the most about this novel is Holiday and Burnett! They are the most adorable characters within the book! They both provide to be role models and idols, though they become human when their flaws are shown. However, isn't that also what make them role models, acknowledging their mistakes/flaws and trying to do something about it. I had an easier time believing in their relationship as opposed to almost every other!
  1.  Does Chosen at Nightfall live up to the previous prequels? 
  2. What are your thoughts on the resolution of Kylie's indecisiveness regarding her love interests?
  3. Are you looking forward towards the new spin-off series featuring Della as the protagonist? 

No comments:

Post a Comment