Friday, January 24, 2014

Slammed Review

Slammed by Colleen Hoover was a somewhat new, interesting read. I had been waiting half a year to get my hands on this book, so one could say that I had high expectations. However, I wasn't really amazed with this book, instead I was a little disappointed. Overall, I'd give it a plain 3 out of 5.

I won't ruin the big surprise that will occur soon after you begin reading, though keep in mind not right away, but I personally wasn't all that taken aback by it. In fact, it's a somewhat common theme within the manga/manhwa realm, so it'd be likely for one to be familiar with it. Though it does add tension and that oh-so-desirable fundamentally forbidden element to the book, it just wasn't all that spectacular. Subjectively, I blame the relationship between Layken the heroine and her love interest Will. It didn't really have much of a spark, or in other words it didn't seem all too real and lacked that certain something. The jealousy thing did tick me off a bit when it occurred periodically throughout the novel. I, for one, am not a big fan of, "He/she won't/can't be with me, so I'm going to act immaturely due to my insecurity and potentially hurt a third party that probably didn't deserve this unjust treatment." Pah-lease! "Grow up" is all I have to say. 

Note: To somewhat refute this, I'm absolutely being a bit harsh on this book. Like a stated earlier, I waited half a year only to be disappointed! 

Back to the review! Family and sacrifice is a big theme in this book. I dearly loved the strong relationship between the siblings in the book! I completely admire taking up the responsibility to care for a loved one, especially when one is so young! They sacrifice so much freedom and what is deemed conventional for their age. Another thing, one can learn the lesson of just moving on, rolling with whatever conflict or life-altering event hits them. Truly admirable! 

The poetry within the book is phenomenal! I've never really been a big fan of it, especially having to create one myself -the horror!- , but this book has given me a new found respect for it. It pushes and pulls your emotions this way and that, hither and thither! I've learned that it's a very creative art form that allows one to really channel one's emotions and feelings, the love, turmoil, whatever is being experienced. It's official now, I'm truly a fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment