Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Immortal Rules Review

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa was an amazing read. I’d say this was a mix of action, horror, romance, and unnatural beings. This is the first book in The Blood of Eden series. Overall, I’d give it a 4.5/5.
This book has there main parts to it, or more like story arches, which does match the three official parts that book is split into. I really liked it; it gave background into the main character’s life and the dystopian world that she resides in that sets up the book. Trust me, it is anything but boring. It’s a utter horror to imagine such a world. As one character in book said, God has left the world and all that is left is Hell (my poor paraphrase :P ). I can honestly say, I’ve never read a book like this one. 
The main character, Allison Sekemoto, or Allie, I absolutely adored! She is one kick-butt, bad-ass girl! It was more like a role reversal in the latter of the book. Ignoring traditional archetypes, she was the hero of the book; she undoubtedly held her own and even others. She protected everyone around her, showing how caring and humane she is in a world where almost all of that has left, she even protects her love interest, where in typical, cliche young adult books (scratch that, it’s everywhere) that’s who protects the lady. But nope! It’s all her! I just absolutely loved her! I, at least, don’t see very many characters like her, but when I do I just can’t shut up about it. Fortunately, she is stubborn too; otherwise, she wouldn’t be as wonderful. It was fantastic watching her evolve into an even greater person.
It was very hard for me to put this book down; I wanted to read it all in one sitting, but sleep is inevitable-even for vampires too. There was always something going on, something to keep you reading. Believe me when I say that this book is filled with action and battle scenes. Even if you’re not fond of fighting, I highly suggest reading this anyway as there is way more to the book than just that. 
I know that there are many people out there, like me, who are entirely sick and turned-off by vampires. After a certain movie series, it’s been completely drained out and cliche. Yes, this book does retain the typical vampire traits that are common with almost all vampire, but keep in mind that it’s still unique. Unique in how the dynamics of the dystopian world is new and refreshing. It discusses moral and ethical issues that would arise from such a society. Luckily, Allie is such an awesome character who pulls this off and evolves very nicely. 
The only real issue I had with the book is the romantic connection and “chemistry” between Allie and her love Interest Zeke (Ezekiel). I can only plainly say is that I didn’t like it, though Zeke is not a bad person whatsoever! I just didn’t feel it, if you know what I mean. I so do not want them to end up together, but what I want doesn’t matter. 
Instead of Zeke, I whole heatedly wish for Allie to get together with her Sire, Kanin. I really loved him! He’s also her mentor, teaching her the basics of being a vampire, their history, reading, math, and combat. I just have to say it again, I love Kanin! However, there was no tension between Allie and him, making me sadly think that they won’t ever come together.
This was a terrific read! I high suggest this to those who love horror and dystopian novels. Though I do advise to not read it for the romance, but for everything else. Read it for Allison! Trust me, you’d love her! Another dystopian novel like this one is The Color of Rain by Cori McCarthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment