Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Ink Review

Ink by Amanda Sun is a fantastic book for those interested in Japan and its culture, presented in way that perfectly entices the young adult demographic. Overall, I give this book a rating of 4/5. 

As a result of losing her mother, Katie Greene is forced to move in with her unfamiliar aunt… in Japan. She struggles to comprehend the language and accepting her new life. While all this is going on, she faces strange occurrences of sketches moving and glaring right at her. These weird happenings all seem to originate from bodacious Tomohiro. 
Amanda Sun intertwines the exciting, but not too overly done, drama with the Japanese language, culture, and elements from Shintoism. I found myself forming a close connection with the characters: Katie, Tomohiro, and Diane. When they were happy, I was happy; when they were experiencing melancholy, I was too. Their emotions and most of their actions seem realistic and believable (as possible for a book with fantasy elements). I especially loved Katie and Tomohiro’s relationship, like how they interacted with quick witted, smart ass remarks. It added humor that perfectly benefits the story.
And the ART! It is purely just 最高 amazing! I have to confess, I am a sucker for terrific book covers; and yes, I know, don’t judge a book by it’s cover. Not only is the cover art amazing, the art inside the book is also utterly astonishing! The end of the book gives a short interview/biography of the two artists that worked on the book, the author; also including book group discussion questions, and a promising preview for the second book in the trilogy.
Some recommendations for books focusing or taking place in Japan is Tokyo Heist and I highly suggest Memoirs of a Geisha.

No comments:

Post a Comment