Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Registry Review

The Registry by Shannon Stoker was, admittedly, a somewhat dull story. It's a tale filled with adventure, escape, murder, and among others, so I'd understand if someone were to have a completely opposite opinion. I  generously give it a 1.5 out of 5. 

I just could not connect to the story, particularly Mia. Her ignorance is annoying, though perfectly understandable as she was purposefully raised that way. The book contradicts itself when despite Mia's ignorance (ex. not knowing basic math), she know's words like synapses and their function. Makes no sense. Although the story is what many would consider action packed, edge of your seat entertainment, it was instead just boring. I really had to force myself to read all of it; sometimes, I honestly wonder why I torture myself and waste my time with uninteresting books. I just skimmed the last 40 or so pages, only getting the basic details that confirmed what I already predicted what would happen.

Of coarse the future day, neo-America is a woman's nightmare, a land digressed to past ways before the women's rights movement. The government had programmed nearly every denizen to these radical, misogynistic beliefs, but at least Mia takes charge of her own destiny and attempt to escape by crossing the USA-Mexican border. Along their journey, they encountered a few people that aren't blinded by the stupid beliefs and possess more feminist views instead. In particular, I especially love Frank and Alex! They were one of the very rare decent characters. 

If you're one to detest love triangles, then this could still be an alright book, but be warned: there are multiple potential love interests. However, it's only towards the end. At least I didn't not feel too connected to the first, most obvious choice, so to someone who detests love triangles, it probably won't be much of a turn off. 

This book was painful to read. It lacks great depth, elegance, and rather literal- if that makes sense. I would not recommend this book to anyone, unless they want to easily fall asleep. You can tell the author really did try, but it just did not meet expectations. It had potential.  

No comments:

Post a Comment