Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Stolen Review

image
This novel, Stolen, is a terrific novel by Lucy Christopher. I guarantee that this book will definitely make you question what’s right and what’s wrong…. what’s moral? It’ll make you ponder, think, maybe even debate whether or not what you think is traditionally, and conventionally, moral/right. I rate this book a 4.5/5. Yeah, it was that good! 
Stolen is written in a unique format as a letter written by Gemma who addresses it to her captor, Ty.   It starts out at a Bangkok airport, with Gemma and her family waiting for a flight. She inevitable meets Ty, a cute and older guy who actually seemed nice and cool… and awfully familiar. Then it is there that she is stolen, stolen to a place where no one will find her in the Australian outback. As it turns out, Ty has known her for years, and has decided it’s time to finally save her from her city life back in London. 
The story is amazing. It was unique, wonderful, and there was rarely a dull moment. I can honestly say I have never read a book like this one, and I’ve read many, many books. The author did an excellent job in admitting the right amount of imagery to really give the reader a great view, or perspective, on the great, nature-filled outback. Oh, and let’s not forget the animals also. 
The main characters, Ty and Gemma-pretty much the only characters in 88% of the book, which is to be expected- were executed exceptionally. You really feel a connection with Gemma throughout the entirety of the novel. You sympathize with her for the whole ride. In addition, towards the middle of the novel, you feel that same connection with Ty when you truly are allowed into his mind, into his conscious and unconscious as well.  When you get to know his background, his story, and his vulnerabilities, you really begin to understand him as a human being-rather than a child-abducting monster. 
The novel’s ending is what really gets you to think about the controversial. As what probably doesn’t come as much as a surprise, but a theme that this novel deals with is Stockholm’s syndrome. Don’t let this turn you off! It’s not a theme that consumes the entire book, but rather it’s an added emotion to tie into Gemma’s complex character. This book is written in such a believable way, that I can claim this: I contracted Stockholm’s syndrome myself! However, I do know it’s wrong… but but but it’s not as wrong as you think. It’s not black nor white…. it’s really, really gray. Read the book and make a judgement for yourself! 
Overall this book was an excellent read that I do not regret picking up. I had actually been meaning to read this book for a long time, perhaps over a year. I don’t understand why I’ve waited so long, but perhaps if I read it then I would of appreciated it less than if I read it now. Anyway! If you’re looking for a book that’ll make you question society’s standards and moral, then you will definitely not be disappointed with Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma.

No comments:

Post a Comment